Frequently Asked Questions

Advancement and Awards

Boy Scouting is available to boys who have earned the Arrow of Light and are at least ten years old—so a Webelos Scout who has earned the Arrow of Light is eligible to join a troop immediately (provided he is at least ten years old).

However, many packs coordinate with a local Boy Scout troop to facilitate the transition from Cub Scouting to Boy Scouting. In these instances, it is better for the boy, his family, and both units if all Webelos Scouts make the transition together, in a coordinated fashion, rather than having each boy leave the pack as soon as he is eligible.

Cub Scouts are not eligible to earn these awards, which are part of the Boy Scout program. All of the awards that Cub Scouts may earn are listed in their handbooks or listed on this Web site.

No. In the Cub Scout program, all boys in a den work toward a badge that is geared to their level of development. If the Wolf badge is completed before the end of the program year, a boy may work on electives to earn Arrow Points, but he may not begin working on the requirements for the Bear badge. His work on the Bear badge will begin the next program year, when he graduates into a Bear den.

No. In the Cub Scout program, all boys in a den work toward the same badge. If a boy joins Cub Scouting as a 9-year-old, he must earn the Bobcat badge (all boys in Cub Scouting earn this badge), and then he will begin working on the Bear badge with his fellow Cub Scouts. He is not required to have earned the Tiger Cub or Wolf badges. Since those badges are for younger boys (7- and 8-year-olds), the requirements for those badges are below a 9-year-old's current level of ability, so "going back" to pick up those badges is not permitted.

Joining Cub Scouts

Citizenship is not required of youth or adult members.

If you live outside the United States and are not a U.S. citizen, it may be more beneficial to join the Scouting association in your own nation. The World Organization of the Scout Movement provides contact information for all national Scouting organizations on its Web site at

In rare instances where there actually is no pack in your area—which generally occurs only in rural areas or overseas locations—a single youth can become a Lone Cub Scout, working with an adult mentor to pursue the advancement program, and participating in activities with nearby packs when possible.

In most instances, yes: there are tens of thousands of Cub Scout packs in the United States and its territories, as well as packs that serve the families of U.S. citizens who live overseas. The "find a pack" feature at will show you a sample of the units in your area.

If you live around Eldersburg or Sykesville, we would love for you to join our pack!

Express your interest to the pack leaders—the Cubmaster or other Den Leaders. Currently we are in need of a Fundraising Chairman as well as a Den Leader for next year's Tiger den.

Cub Scouting is for boys in the first through fifth grades, or 7 to 10 years of age. Boys who are older than 10, or who have completed the fifth grade, can no longer join Cub Scouting, but they may be eligible to join the Boy Scouting or Venturing program.

The Cub Scout Program

Pack 110 encourages all parents to take an active role in the den meetings. Also, siblings are welcome to attend many of our functions (ie. camp outs, skating and bowling parties).

With Pack 100, our Cub Scouts meet in their dens on the first and third Wednesday of each month, and a pack meeting is held for all Cub Scouts and their families once a month. Beyond that, it depends on the den and pack: a den may hold a special activity, such as a service project or visit to a local museum in place of one of the weekly meetings or in addition to the weekly meetings. Likewise, a pack may conduct a special event such as the Blue and Gold banquet as an additional event, rather than a substitute for its monthly pack meeting.

Cub Scouting is a program of the Boy Scouts of America—so in that sense, Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are both members of the same organization. However, they are entirely different programs: Cub Scouting is a family-oriented program designed specifically to address the needs of younger boys.

Uniforms and Supplies

The Cub Scout pack may provide assistance to families. Some packs operate a uniform exchange or uniform bank, or they may hold fund-raisers to enable the boys to earn their uniforms. Also, some packs will award boys rank-specific uniform components (hat and neckerchief) and/or the program books that the Cub Scout needs each year—so parents should inquire as to what the pack provides before purchasing the items themselves.

Our uniforms, literature, and other Scouting merchandise is available at your local council, Scout Shops, and other licensed distributors. You'll find local Scout Stores and distributors listed below. Visit the Supply Division Web site at to find a list of distributors in other areas.

Benn's Menswear & Formalwear
535 Jermor Lane
Village Shopping Center
Westminster, MD 21157
(410) 848-8020
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - ?
Saturday - ?
Sunday - ?

The Scout Shop in Baltimore City
800 Wyman Park Drive
Baltimore, MD 21211
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday - 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday - 9 AM - 7 PM
Saturday - 10 AM - 3 PM

The Scout Shop in Anne Arundel County
7502 Connelley Drive, Suite 120
Hanover, MD 21076.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday – 9 AM – 5:30 PM,
Wednesday – 9 AM – 7 PM
Saturday 10 AM – 3 PM.

The Scout Shop in Harford County
Broad Creek Memorial Scout Reservation
1929 Susquehanna Hall Rd
Whiteford, MD 21160
(In the lower parking lot)
Thursday - 3 PM - 7 PM (starting Dec 6)
Friday - 4 PM - 9 PM
Saturday - 10 AM - 5 PM
Sunday - 9 AM - 11 AM
How can I save money on the

At minimum, each boy in Cub Scouting will need a uniform and a handbook. Each year, the handbook changes, as does the cap and neckerchief, but other uniform parts remain the same for at least the first three years. When a boy enters a Webelos den, he may need to obtain a new uniform if the parents in the den opt for the khaki-and-olive uniform.

Additional supplies and equipment may be needed for certain activities such as camping trips or field days. What equipment is needed, as well as whether it will be provided by the unit, will vary from pack to pack. Den and pack leaders should provide parents with information about any supplies that will be required at the beginning of each program year.